Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Apprenticeship or old age. I liked Andrea Joseph's idea of replicating an old journal page by simulating the text coming through from the other side of the page. I thought I could do this in my left hand journal and super-impose over it a picture of a power pole from a photograph from my Manukau harbour series. I was fascinated by the thought of communication made difficult (for family reasons). I typed out the following words from Ajahn Thanasanti,
nothing to do...
noone to do it...
nowhere to be...
nothing to get...
nothing to get rid of...
noone to be.

These words I mirrored and put behind my page, and tried to cross hatch with my left hand. It went far darker than I wanted so I rubbed lightly with an eraser. I did not want to do anymore to this as I liked it as it was, but thought I should continue with the original concept. I started cautiously because I knew it would be difficult to erase without removing the lettering. It is a dreadful pole in more sense than my pencil sketch. This post has a lot of I's in it!

2 comments:

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Oooh, I got a name check! And, I really love this one. I love that idea ofseeing the text through the page. Kind of mysterious.

BTW, Hillary, I'd love to take up your offer of some NZ stamps. I couldn't find an email address for you but you could get in touch with me at:

andreajoseph24[at]googlemail[dot]com

Cheers.

Hillary said...

It was such a brilliant idea of yours to do the reversed type coming through as if from the other side, and even though it was my left hand I was pleased with the result, my right hand couldn't have done it. Thanks for your comment, I have replied seperately. marhil61(at)googlemail(dot)com